Polluted soil and site decontamination, our speciality
Our teams are regularly called upon to decommission obsolete and contaminated industrial sites and for household or industrial waste treatment. Fully trained to manage all types of risk, they also provide expert advice on site safety procedures and the administrative formalities that go hand-in-hand with these complex and delicate operations.
Séché Environnement guarantees full traceability across the entire waste elimination chain, regardless of the type of waste and whether it can be processed on site or must be transferred to one of our treatment plant depending on the type of treatment required.
Our chemical treatment unit is specially trained to handle both simple and cross-risk waste and substances (chemical, biological, etc.).
Soil and site remediation for all types of pollution
Séché Environnement’s comprehensive expertise in the management and treatment of waste means it is able to provide site and soil remediation techniques to tackle all types of pollution and pollutants.
- Organic pollution
- Biological pollution
- Chemical pollution
- Radiological pollution
- PCB and pesticide pollution
- Firework pollution
- Asbestos pollution
- Accidental spillage or discharge of sludge and industrial effluents
From diagnosis to treatment
Our multi-disciplinary teams accompany our clients from start to finish, assisting with all administrative formalities, managing the remediation and waste treatment through to completion.
Depending on the type of pollutants, waste is either treated on site or transferred to one of our certified treatment plants. Mobile units may also be used to pre-treat waste before it is stored. Pre-treatment consists in modifying the chemical composition of waste to render it inert before it is stored and prevent the release or discharge of pollutants back into the environment.
For very specific waste, our subsidiary Trédi Salaise has its own accredited facility for chemical, biological and even odour-intensive waste.
Séché Environnement works hand-in-hand with its customers at every stage in the decontamination and remediation of their site:
- identification of on-site and off-site treatment solutions
- containment, stabilisation
- safety works
- waste removal to treatment facilities
- administrative formalities
Our teams also have the necessary qualifications to ensure the protection and preservation of each location’s biodiversity and surrounding natural resources.
Cleanup of the historical waste stocks generated by the company’s industrial activities.
Type of pollution
Contamination of land with a mix of metallic pollutants: cadmium, arsenic, lead, etc.
Technical solution used
Creation of a dedicated internal storage area (hazardous waste storage classification – ISDD Class 1 – disposal of hazardous waste) with stabilisation pre-treatment
- Upstream performance of administrative procedures: diagnosis, creation of administrative files, feasibility studies, consultation and research, obtaining of the necessary administrative authorisations
- Building of dedicated storage areas based on Séché’s sealing standards
- Deployment of environmental surveillance networks (air, water)
- Construction of stabilisation pre-treatment plant: mobile unit
- Earthworks for the excavation of polluted land
- Implementation of specific conveyor systems (3 km) to bring polluted soil to the pre-treatment and storage units
- Installation of a laboratory for environmental monitoring of the site and monitoring of treatment quality
- Remediation of cleaned-up areas
Key figures of the project
Duration of upstream phase (administrative): 3 years
Duration of the project: 6 years
1 million cubic metres of land treated
35 jobs created
Deconstruction and remediation of a titanium dioxide manufacturing facility on two sites totaling 32 hectares
Type of pollution
Chemical pollution. Aggravated natural radioactivity.
Soil pollution. Significant scale deposits from the manufacturing process arising from the treatment of ilmenite, a mineral containing a certain amount of natural radioactivity related to the presence of thorium and uranium.
- Deconstruction and demolition of two sites: one manufacturing site and one effluent treatment plant
- Decontamination of polluted soils
- Disconnection of tanks and other equipment in areas designated as natural reserves
- Lifting of tanks
- Creation and operation of a radiological purification facility equipped with ventilation and air treatment systems
- Operations carried out with fresh or filtered air (quality-checked using dosimeters)
- Removal and mechanical sorting of radioactive waste
- Taking of samples for radiological analysis
- Cutting out and packing of radiological waste
- Management of FNR waste
- Constitution of homogeneous batches appropriate to the waste treatment channels used
- Traceability of waste resulting from the purification process
- Updating of register of waste products and management of waste storage areas
- Organization of transportation
- Management and treatment of effluents.
Duration of the project: 3 years (ending June 2014)
Area: 32 hectares
Volume of concrete treated (deconstruction): 100,000 tonnes
Production tanks purified and packed: 166
Pipelines capped and packed: 16 kilometers
Human resources: average headcount on site 32 people (with co-contractor), including 8 jobs created locally for the duration of the project
Overall sales value of project: EUR 13 million